Friday, June 28, 2013

Week 1- ADDIE and MMP Step 1


For my Multimedia Montage Project I am considering making my target audience the teachers in a professional development (PD) workshop. My area of expertise is Science Research and Biological Education. Equipment wise, the use of technology in science is progressing; as prices drop, we are bringing in innovative technologies into the classroom. A lot of science classes have a lecture/ lab format, with emphasis on hands on learning. In terms of teaching our students to be 21st Century citizens, most science teachers are lacking skills necessary to prepare our students for the future. I liked what Walker et al., said in his paper, we have the most web literate generation but they do not have the skill to understand what is relevant or accurate on the web about the topic they are researching (Walker, 2010). Even science classrooms need to reach across disciplines and incorporate more technology in the classroom to better help their students learn.

My goal is to design a teacher workshop where teachers are better able to connect science content and Web 2.0 tools. The first step of the ADDIE model is Analysis, and the purpose is to gather data in order to determine the material that needs to be taught as well as the method of delivering that material (Hodell).
 http://www.addiesolutions.com/picts/addie.gif

To begin my data gathering I am joining a few communities. The first community I selected is the National ScienceTeachers Association (LinkedIn) and my goals are to ask the teachers for their input about what they would like to know about Web 2.0 tools and classroom incorporation so I can better fit the program for their needs. The second community I choose is the Teacher Training and Education (LinkedIn) and my goal is to determine which method of delivery (meaning how I teach the material) would be best. I am also joining the 21st Century Skills group (Thinkfinity to help ME figure out what would be the most important technology skill to teach for the PD workshop as well as advice on mode of delivery.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie-
    Being a part of the Science teaching community, I can see a real need for professional development like this. Most science teachers that I am familiar with are used to using some type of technology in the classroom, however most of the time it is being used to collect data, research a particular topic, or experience simulations. To use the technology to fulfill the 21st century skills requirements wouldn't be something that comes to every teacher's mind. Coming from the perspective of a digital immigrant, I wasn't aware of the applications of these technologies until I started taking this class and I am excited to experience more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,

    I'm so glad to see that your primary community sites were OUTSIDE of the Thinkfinity community. While we use Thinkfinity to house our course discussion threads, which works well for our purposes, I am always worried when students rely completely on TF groups for this task. TF doesn't always have participating members in their communities -- people will join and lurk -- but no one really posts. I would be concerned that you'd be unable to get some solid feedback (or some high quality posts to read) due to inactivity within any of the forums you selected, I just have a lot of experience with disappointed students who said the TF communities were not helpful at all.

    I look forward to reading your MMP proposal!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete